At Calgary Family Law Associates, we handle divorces of all kinds, from a simple uncontested divorce that can take a few months to process to complicated separations that can take several years to complete.

We understand the stress and disappointment most of our clients are feeling, as even the simplest divorce comes with incredible frustration. The lawyers in our association have the experience to guide you through the process efficiently and cost-effectively; they will take the fear out of the situation and help with any complications that may arise. We are responsive, and will contact you promptly if you need us to.

We will help you settle every matter that needs resolution before your marriage may formally end. We can help you make decisions about your children, property, support and other matters in whatever way is best suited to your situation, whether through the courts or through alternative dispute resolution.

A Formal Process

Whether you have issues to settle or not, you still need to go through a legal process to end your marriage formally.

In order to get a divorce in Alberta, one of the parties must have been a resident of Alberta for at least one year before beginning the divorce action. It does not matter where you were married or whether you are a same-sex or opposite-sex couple, as long as your marriage is valid in Canada.

A formal divorce consists of the following steps:

  • The spouse seeking the divorce (called the Plaintiff) files a Statement of Claim for Divorce.
  • The claim is personally delivered on the other spouse (called the Defendant), who has 20 days to dispute it, provided they live in Alberta. They get two months if they live outside Canada and one month if they live within Canada but outside of Alberta.
  • The Plaintiff files a Request for Divorce, along with a number of documents (including the marriage certificate) and a proposed Divorce Judgment.
  • A Justice examines the Request and the documents and signs the Divorce Judgment.
  • Copies are mailed to the Plaintiff and the Defendant.
  • 31 days after the Divorce Judgment is signed, the spouses can ask for a Certificate of Divorce.

We can help you during any stage of the process, whether to deal with one or two complications or to complete the divorce for you.

Contact Calgary Family Law Associates

Let us help you whether you are proceeding for an uncontested divorce or you need help in settling disputes between you and your partner. Contact us at 587-316-1125, or contact any of the lawyers individually. You can also fill out our online form.